90 Years and Counting…
The DuPage County Historical Society was founded in 1929 by a group of DuPage County Civic leaders and residents with a common interest in the history of the County. Their goal was to gather, preserve and disseminate the County’s history.
Another goal was to establish a museum that would be the focal point for the collection and preservation of artifacts, memorabilia, and records representative of the rich heritage of the County. In 1965, the old Wheaton Library building, the Adams Memorial Library, was purchased by Edwin F. and Lois Deicke and presented as a gift to the Society. The Society then deeded the property to DuPage County. In 1967, the DuPage County Historical Museum, a department of the County government, opened its doors. The Society was the main support group for the Museum until 2004. The DuPage County Historical Museum is now a part of the Wheaton Park District.
The DuPage County Historical Society continues to promote and preserve the history of DuPage County through publications, lectures, the presentation of History Recognition Awards, and cooperative efforts with other DuPage County historical organizations. It has gained widespread recognition for its publications and historical programs and its efforts related to preserving the County’s history. Its most recent publications are the award-winning DuPage Roots, the 1874 DuPage County Atlas, Bugles in a Dream: DuPage County in the Civil War, The Potawatomi Indians of DuPage County, the magazine DuPage History, and the “Historic St. Charles Road Driving Tour” brochure.
Most especially, the Society is embracing 21st century technology to further its mission. The DuPage Roots was digitized and placed on this website to make the history of the county and its individual municipalities accessible to anyone, anywhere, at anytime. Future plans include updating the DuPage Roots histories and also making other out-of-print materials available on this website.
The Society is totally dependent on the dues and generosity of Members and other public-spirited citizens and organizations. Gifts, contributions and new memberships are always welcome.
DuPage County Historical Society Officers & Board Members
|An elected Board of Directors directs the DuPage County Historical Society’s activities. The Board holds regular meetings every other month. The Annual Meeting is held in late fall of each year. Currently, the Board of Directors is composed of the following individuals:|
|Carol Marcus, Villa Park – Co-President / Newsletter|
|Margaret Franson Pruter, Elmhurst – Co-President|
|Toni Saunders, Lombard – Vice President / Special Projects|
|Robert Woodruff, Oak Brook – Treasurer / Recognition Awards Coordinator|
|Norma Budzinski, Wheaton – Membership|
|Bill Maloney, Glen Ellyn – Hospitality / Recognition Awards Assistant|
|Public Relations / Publicity Vacant|
|Melody Coleman, Naperville – Secretary|
|Glennette Tilley Turner, Wheaton – Underground Railroad authority|
|Social Media Vacant|
|Theodore Hammerschmidt||1929-1935, six years|
|Marshall Keig||1935-40, five years|
|Hugh G. Dugan||1940-1944, four years|
|H. A. Berens||1944-1960, sixteen years|
|Hugh G. Dugan||1960-1961, one year|
|Margaret Dunton||1962-1969, seven years|
|Edwin Deicke||1969-1973, four years|
|Dorothy Vandercook||1973-1975, two years|
|Donald Schmidt||1975-1979, four years|
|Amy E. Crisler||1979-1983, four years|
|Dr. William Stroner||1983-1985, two years|
|Patricia Stockner||1985-1988, three years|
|Frances Vestuto||1988-1992, four years|
|Keith Letsche||1992-1996, four years|
|Tyrone Tipitino||1996-2000, four years|
|Keith Letsche||2000-2004, four years|
|Catherine Bruck||2004-2006, two years|
|Frances Vestuto||2006-2010, three years|
|Carol Marcus & Margaret Franson Pruter||2010-2021, eleven years|